3281d Consulting was founded by Derek Wright and specializes in building Drupal-based solutions for project management, issue tracking, release management, revision control integration and more. Find out more about us.
Derek (also known as dww) has been active in the Drupal community since December of 2005 as a module developer, core contributor, webmaster on drupal.org, and member of the Drupal security team. In addition to being a prolific module maintainer (over 5000 commits to the Drupal contributions Git repositories and counting) and working on Drupal's home, he also designed and implemented a major newspaper site running Drupal, SocialistWorker.org. Derek has spoken at numerous Drupal conferences and events about a wide range of topics. He has been active as a mentor of other Drupal developers through Google's Summer of Code and Highly Open Participation programs, and has contributed extensively to the drupal.org documentation.
Prior to working on Drupal, Derek spent over a decade working as research staff in the Computer Science Department of the University of Wisconsin, Madison. He was one of the most senior staff working on a large distributed computing project called Condor. He was responsible for designing, implementing, and testing code in a large, distributed project. He coordinated and oversaw a development team of over 40 students and staff. He managed modifications to the Condor source tree, and has extensive expertise in revision control, automated software building and testing, and release management.
Contributions to the Drupal.org infrastructure
- Designed and wrote the system for releasing Drupal contributions, where all contrib modules and themes have real releases, version strings, and much more.
- Added project-based access control for the Drupal contributions CVS repository.
- Maintained and enhanced the code responsible for all issue tracking, release management, and download browsing on Drupal.org.
- Active member of the drupal.org infrastructure and webmaster teams, deploying changes on the live site, helping to debug problems, and so on.
- One of the main implementors of the Drupal.org redesign.
- One of the primary architects and developers for Drupal's migration from CVS to Git.
- Extensive work on the Drupal.org distribution packaging system.
Modules written or maintained
- Project management
- Project issue tracking
- Project Issue voting
- CVS Integration
- Update status (now included in Drupal core)
- Update status advanced settings
- CVS Deploy (to let users who deploy sites with CVS use Update status)
- User status change notifications (now included in Drupal core)
- Installation Profile API
- Drupal.org testing installation profile
- CCK Date testsite installation profile
- Database administration
Additionally, Derek has contributed patches for or committed improvements to the following modules: